The Florida Home Builders Association is our state organization located right here in Tallahassee and is our advocate arm for all statewide issues and concerns regarding our industry. To learn more about the FHBA visit their site at www.fhba.com.
FHBA Member Benefits
Online Education for Contractors
Click here for the Online @HOMEPREP program for Florida Construction Licenses.
Click here for FHBA member benefit programs
FHBA NEWS – August 6, 2018
DOH Adopts New Septic Tank Rules
On Wednesday, August 1, FHBA staff met with leadership of the Florida Department of Health (DOH). The focus was to emphasize our desire for DOH to approve an additional passive septic tank system that meets the advanced nitrogen reduction requirements of the Basin Management Action Plans (BMAP).
The latest new passive systems have finally been approved. While these systems will address some of our needs, they will not address all. However, DOH also provided for a change in their rules to allow for an alternative pathway to approve systems with an NSF 245 certification. The degree to which this new pathway will be utilized is not yet determined, but its inclusion in the rule demonstrates DOH understands the need to increase septic technology in Florida.
With the adoption of the new passive system rule, the Septic Tank and BMAP Meeting on Thursday, August 16, at Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center in Kissimmee, Florida is even more relevant. This meeting is designed to help everyone understand what the requirements are and how to meet those requirements.
Submit Your Q2’18 Member Rebate Claim!
All of your Builder & Remodeler members can claim for any completed residential addresses from October 1 – December 31, 2017 that used any of our 50+ manufacturer brands.
The deadline to submit your claims is August 31, 2018. Click here to start your claim today!
Report from NAHB Mid-Year Meeting
Florida was well represented at the NAHB Mid-year meeting. In spite of being hosted on the West Coast, over 30 members of the Florida delegation participated. Below are some highlights from the meeting and future opportunities.
Online application and membership portal at nahb.org/JoinNow is up and running with information confirmed for 620 locals. Online applications are coming in from people who would not have otherwise joined. In conjunction with the online applications, the ability to spread out payments is a popular feature.
- 2019 Committee/Council Appointments are now open – deadline is September 23rd. Applications available at nahb.org/2019CommitteeApp . After completing your online request please email Chuck Fowke – JCFowke@aol.com, Karen Koelemij – KarKoel@aol.com and Greg Matovina- email@example.com and let them know which committee(s) you have applied for so they can follow up with recommendations.
- Codes Committee has launched the One & Done They are asking one member who has a relationship with their local building official(s) to sign up to help NAHB spread information on our voting guide for the ICC code. To sign up, to be your locals building official’s contact for this program, access the forms here, www.nahb.org/oneanddone
- The Labor shortage is a nationally recognized headwind for our industry. NAHB Chairman, Randy Noel, attended a White House event and met President Trump who signed an executive order on job creation. NAHB and HBI have set a goal to train 50,000 new workers in the construction trades over the next 5 years in support of this initiative.
- NAHB lobbyists are working hard at forging relationships with the minority leadership in the hopes of blue-wave proofing our industry.
- Softwood lumber tariffs have added $9,000.00 (Nat’l Avg) to the cost of a new home. NAHB has worked with both US and Canadian officials to resolve this dispute. Some federal lands will be opened for harvesting but that only adds 10% of supply. NAHB launched a targeted media campaign at the White House, Congress, and the lumber mills to add pressure and urgency for finding a solution.
- The National Flood Insurance program was just reauthorized through November 30th, 2018. At which time it is expected to be reauthorized again through the first of the year when real reform may be in considered.
- FHBA Third Vice President, Rick Ilmberger, represented Florida Associate Members at the NAHB Mid-Year meeting. It was a great opportunity to network and develop relationships with other associate members from all parts of the country with a passion & dedication that is second to none! Participating in a full day of Associate Sub-Committee meetings from Advocacy, Leadership, Education & Outreach gave a greater appreciation for the outside-the-box thinking and debate that goes into making sure Associate Members needs and wants are met as well as our voices heard.
- NAHB’s Associate Toolkit is the “One Stop Shop” for all things Associates. The Toolkit is the place to find all the answers, materials and information pertaining to Associates. Click here to visit the Toolkit at or login and search “Associates”
- NAHB’s Associate Committee has developed a scholarship program to help defray the costs of attending NAHB national meetings for Associate Members. It is intended to help those who wouldn’t be able to attend these meetings, get there and become involved on the national level. NAHB wants to encourage new voices in the Federation and this is a way to help make that happen.
- It’s also a great time to start nominating individuals for Associate member awards. Florida boasts a great number of Associate Members who work hard throughout the Federation. Click here to review the Associate Awards.
- Membership within the NAHB is off to a great start. Randy Noel stated, “This is the year of membership”, which resulted in the best May drive with over 4600 new members recruited and a net gain for the month of 2,187 – the best since 2008. NAHB has an overall membership of 140,000.
FHB PAC Silent Auction – Thursday August 16 at SEBC!
Amongst the magical events celebrating SEBC’s 40th Anniversary, FHB PAC will host a Silent Auction to help financially support pro-builder candidates who are in favor of less governmental regulation and support our ability to build quality, affordable homes so that more Floridians can achieve the American Dream.
This is a political watershed year in Florida:
- Senate Democrats have a bullseye on two of FHBA’s most reliable Senators,
- The Governor’s seat is highly contested in the primary and will continue to be contested in the general,
- Each state cabinet seat is heavily contested, and
- All eyes are on Florida, as titans Bill Nelson and Rick Scott square off for the US Senate Seat.
- Help us raise the necessary funds by bidding on items such as vacations stays, Yeti products, Bose Speakers, gift cards and a Lottery Ticket Tree!
Auction items will be available for viewing and bidding on Thursday at the Registration Desk (Hall C) from 10:00 am – 4:30 pm, and later at the 40th Anniversary Celebration (Atrium Pavilion) from 7:00 – 9:00 pm.
If you don’t bid, you can’t win!
All contributions to the FHB PAC are considered political contributions and are non-deductible as a business expense for Federal Income Tax purposes.
Impact Fees Symposium @ SEBC
SEBC will host an Impact Fees Symposium on Friday, August 17, from 10:00 – 12:00 pm at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center in Kissimmee, Florida.
Lucy Gallo, a foremost expert on impact fees, will focus on the most prevalent methods that local governments use to increase their fees.
Lucy Gallo is a principal with Development Planning & Financing Group, Inc., a national real estate consulting firm with offices in Orlando and Tampa. She specializes in fiscal and economic impact analysis and public infrastructure finance. Lucy’s financial models are designed with utmost transparency; an approach that distinguishes her work in its field. Her studies have been subjected to the highest level of peer review, and those reviews consistently conclude that her approach to impact analysis is both thorough and comprehensive.
The Impact Fee Symposium is included in both the SEBC Expo Hall Only Pass and Expo & Education Pass. To attend, click here to register for SEBC today.
Register Today for the 2018 Southeast Building Conference (SEBC)!
Registration for #SEBC40 is officially OPEN! Join us August 16-17, 2018 at the beautiful Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, FL as we celebrate 40 years of being the original. Head on over to www.SEBCshow.com and register for a FREE Expo Hall Only Pass using Promo Code SEBC18. Don’t wait! Click here to register.